Thursday, February 5, 2015
MANILA-Senator Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos today revealed that he talked with Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) chief negotiator Mohaqer Iqbal and asked the Muslim leader to convince his men to bring back the arms confiscated during the clash between the rebel group and the Special Action Force (SAF) troopers in Mamasapano, Maguindanao.
Marcos likewise urged Iqbal to explain the current relationship of the MILF with the BIFF and the possibility of the MILF helping in current efforts to locate and arrest Basit Usman, one of two terrorists believed still hiding in the hinterlands of Mindanao.
In his interview with Kabayan Noli de Castro over DZMM this morning, the Senator from the Ilocos Norte admitted that his intention in talking with Iqbal is his personal desire to seek the truth behind last Sunday’s carnage. The Senator met Iqbal yesterday at his Senate office.
Describing the meeting as “cordial” and “enlightening”, Marcos used the opportunity to convince the Moro leader of the importance of reviving the trust and confidence of the people behind these peace efforts. The current outrage of the people against what happened is expected, says Marcos.
Marcos Jr. wants to resume discussions about the Bangsamoro Basic Law and he is just waiting for the government to submit a comprehensive report on what happened.
Marcos, who chairs the Senate Committee on Local Government, says that as a Senator, he has the responsibility to seek a permanent and lasting solution to the conflicts affecting our country. He desires peace, but not without knowing the truth behind the alleged execution of police troopers.
“ Nawala talaga ang tiwala ng magkabilang panig at ng mga tao sa usapang pangkapayapaan. May confidence building measure ako para maibalik ang tiwala. Di pa natin talaga nalalaman kung ano talaga ang nangyari,” says Marcos.
MANILA-Senator Jinggoy Ejercito Estrada formally asked today the approval of the Sandiganbayan Fifth Division to allow him to attend the hearing on the Mamasapano incident scheduled on Monday, February 9.
In an urgent motion submitted today, Sen. Estrada requested that he be allowed to participate in the hearings of the Committee on Public Order and Dangerous Drugs led by Sen. Grace Poe as “part of his constitutional and legal obligations.”
Estrada, who previously filed Senate Resolution 1134 calling for an inquiry into the bloody Maguindanao clash between the Special Action Force of the Philippine National Police (PNP-SAF) and the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) and other elements, said that the investigation into the matter is of national interest for which he would like to fulfill his constitutional duty and obligation.
Sen. Estrada hopes that he will be permitted to leave his detention facility in PNP Custodial Center in Camp Crame in Quezon City under the usual escort and security conditions at his expense two hours before the start of the hearing and be brought back within two hours after the adjournment of the hearing.
Sen. Estrada “has been fulfilling his obligations as a duly elected Senator of the country since last year,” the motion read.
The motion cited that the 90-day preventive suspension against him was already served and lifted by the Senate last December. Estrada has resumed his legislative functions and already filed 22 bills and resolutions since last month.
“As a senator, I would really want to get to the bottom of this one. Gusto kong malaman ung sino ang nag-order ng pagsugod ng ating mga kapulisan doon sa kuta ng MILF,” Jinggoy previously answered when asked why he wishes to attend the forthcoming hearings.
Sen. Estrada is requesting that he be allowed to participate in the hearings from the commencement of the probe until its adjournment.
The said motion is expected to be submitted for the consideration and approval of the court tomorrow, February 5, 2015.