Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Incinerators needed to address garbage problem-Trillanes

MANILA, September 7, 2011-In order to address the worsening problem of waste disposal in the country, Senator Antonio “Sonny” Trillanes IV pushes for the amendment of the Clean Air Act to allow the use of incinerators.

In light of the “trashslide” set off by heavy rains in Baguio City that killed six (6) people and buried homes below the mountain of garbage in Irisan dumpsite last month, Trillanes filed Senate Bill No. 225 to revise the law signed in 1999 where he said that waste management has become an issue and has posed serious problems in the country.

“This means that waste must be properly disposed in manner that it will not become a significant environmental burden,” Trillanes said, saying that one way of dealing with the perennial trash woes is to allow the operation of incinerators in the country as he noted that existing technology has made it safer while at the same time produce the much needed electric power.

Trillanes admitted that although there are serious environmental concerns about incineration, advances in emission control designs, along with strict standards and monitoring system have caused large reduction of pollution in the atmosphere.

The young legislator cited Japan where experts have made headway in emission control designs, and coupled with very stringent governmental regulations have substantially cut down the amount of dioxins and furans emissions using the technology.

“This is suitable for use in the country since it is difficult to secure final disposal sites due to our becoming limited land space. It is estimated that when incinerated, waste shall be reduced to approximately one-tenth of its weight and one-twentieth of its volume,” he pointed out.

He said that this is an opportune time to repeal Section 20 of the Clean Air Act (Republic Act 8749) and tap incinerators as a viable waste disposal method and promote it to generate power under the waste-to-energy (WTE) technology, adding that the technology provides for the safe disposal of waste without harmful emissions to the atmosphere, and at the same time, offers maximum benefits from the recovery of the valuable contents of the wastes from the cities. (Jason de Asis)

Aurora uphold as Central Luzon’s most peaceful province

BALER, Aurora, September 7, 2011-This province has retained its status as the most peaceful province with the lowest crime incidence in Central Luzon in 2011 despite the crime waves in thefts and robberies in the provincial capital town.

Aurora province registered 991 crimes from January to July based in the crime statistics from the Philippine National Police Regional Office 3 based in Camp Olivas, Pampanga.

Over the period, crime volume represents only four percent of the 24,401 crime incidents recorded in the entire region.

Stats showed that the province of Bulacan has the highest crime incidence with 9,647 followed by Pampanga with 3,305, Nueva Ecija (2,498), Bataan (2,185), Zambales (1,566) and Tarlac (1,131).

Senior Superintendent Oscar Albayalde, regional intelligence chief said that the 24,401 crimes are lower by 25.77 percent compared to the 32,870 crimes listed over the same period last year.

Albayalde said of these crimes, 13,674 or 56.04 percent index crimes such as theft, physical injuries, robbery, carnapping, rape, murder and homicide while the remaining 10,727 (43.96 percent) are non-index crimes.

He said that 3,395 or 13.91 percent of these crimes are considered “solved” where the suspects have been arrested and charged in court while 5,207 or 21.37 percent are considered “cleared” where cases have been filed but the suspects are at large. 

Albayade attributed the dip in regional crime incidence to intensified police visibility in the streets and the conduct of massive simultaneous checkpoint operations targeting motorcycle-riding criminals.

Albayade said that the regional PNP, led by Chief Superintendent Edgardo Ladao also launched “I-Text Mo, Aksyonan Ko (Text and I will Act)” giving citizens a chance to report crime incidents in their locality through text messaging and the “Wanted Ka, Huli Ka! (You’re Wanted, You’re Caught)” website providing information on most wanted criminals in the region.

Governor Bellaflor Angara-Castillo lauded the PNP crime report. She said that we should be proud of the report, adding that the province was adjudged as the best performing local government unit (LGU) in the region and the 48th Infantry “Guardians” Battalion was adjudged best battalion by the 7th Infantry “Kaugnay” Division recently. (Jason de Asis)


Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this blog do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of "THE CATHOLIC MEDIA NETWORK NEWS ONLINE".

Should the Philippine government legalize same-sex marriage?